Dental Exams & X-Rays in Belleville NJ
Dental exams by your dentist in Belleville NJ are extremely important to maintaining healthy teeth, gums, and more. A healthy smile also contributes to an improved overall health, as well, helping you avoid the possibility of having to pay for pricey, large treatments in the future. The Academy of General Dentistry recommends visiting the dentist for routine cleanings once every six months for everyone—children, teens, adults and seniors! The reason for this time period is so your professionals have the ability to identify and eliminate any problems that are still in their early stages.
How It’s Done
First, your dentist examines your mouth with the help of dental equipment such as mirrors, assorted dental tools, and high-intensity lights. We’ll be looking for decayed and cracked teeth, as well as other important dental-related items:
• Medical History: We will assess how any present or previous medical conditions, illnesses, or other may affect your dental health and treatment.
• Examination of Tooth Decay: We’ll use our tools to check for any decayed, chipped, or cracked teeth.
• Oral Cancer Screening: Your face, lips, neck, cheek, tongue, throat, gums, and tissues will be checked for any signs or symptoms of oral cancer.
• Gum Disease Evaluation: If there is any evidence of periodontal (gum) disease, we’ll be able to notice by examining your gums and bone around your teeth.
• Examination of Existing Restorations: If you have any crowns, fillings, or other restorations, we’ll check to make sure that they’re in good order and working to protect your teeth.
With our diagnostic x-rays, your Belleville NJ dentist will be able to see any other potential hidden problems that can’t be seen otherwise, especially the areas below your gums. Bitewing x-rays are taken every 12 months and a full-mouth series is taken every 3-5 years.